My Nephew

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

My Nephew

Postby North33 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:04 pm

My nephew is 17 years old and works 2 days a week and that's all, the rest of the time, and it is free time, he does absolutely nothing(squat all). He lies in bed until at least 12 midday and must think this is acceptable. I'm thinking every other 17 year old is either at school or college or up and about with their mates. He has a girlfriend but to say they go out, really out, is a joke. Now the day before yesterday he wanted to go to work with his dad but apparently he was too tired to go in. The same happened yesterday, he wanted to go to work with his dad but he stayed here anyway for whatever reason.
All he ever does is plays on the PC until god knows what time. He never leaves the house unless he has to, not because he wants to. It can't be acceptable for him to lay in bed until gone midday when everybody else is either working or out the house for what ever reason. Even when he is here, a heavy term here, he doesn't do anything around the house either, he's either watching things on his xbox 1 on netflix or playing fifa or on his PC playing online games. He speaks to people on teamspeak but he hasn't physically met these people, I know they might live miles away but that's not the point. I wonder what these other people do all day when they play these games, are they the same? He's going to be 18 soon and he will still be the same, I can see it coming, there won't be any change in him.
I'm not sure he lstens to his dad, he's definitely not going to listen to me and he's probably not going to listen to my brother's girlfriend either so I need some outside influence, yes influence is the word here, and advice as to where to go from here or he does. Over the past 2 days, I've said this already, he's said something that he's going to do but he does the opposite and the only thing he knows and stays here anyway, not sure if he's becoming a joke or is a joke already.
Need some advice from an outsider.
North33
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: My Nephew

Postby Mrdad » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:55 pm

To be honest, it doesn't sound like anything anyone says will make any difference? Is he a only child? You mention his dad but not his mum? But at 17 he's still young, does he not go to college, or anything, or just two days of work? I think it's just his age, if he was in his twenties and doing this, then I'd be worried. Have you said anything to his dad? What does he think? I think all you can do is try and encourage him to do more, don't keep going on. And see what happens,
Mrdad
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:24 pm

it's the dads fault for allowing it
He needs to teach him some responsibility
At the end of the day I wouldn't poke my nose in unless asked because you are effectively going to have to tell him he is failing as a parent
The parents job is always to make sure that their children are prepared for life in every aspect - relationships, work, money, responsibility etc
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Akidma » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi
He has nobody to look up to so does what he wants. The longer it goes on the more of a waste he will become. Why go to work if nobody forces it, after all he will still be warm; he will still be fed and have his washing done for him.
Someone in the family (it should be a parent) must take a grip with this bone idle youth NOW. The washing should stop. The meals should stop. Trust me he will not starve but will be offended. I would not even let him know why the ''looking after him'' duties had ceased, I would just cease them and await his enquiry as to why his underwear hadn't been washed or why he was still sleeping in the same bed linen as two weeks ago.Once he approached me on this I would merely respond by informing him on how concerned I had become about his current lifestyle therefore there will be changes. I would then list the changes, and washing his underwear would become a payment for his turn towards the washing up, or emptying the bins. I would also then have serious talk about his future and what he was going to do about securing a proper job or full time education.
If you want a layabout in the house, then just carry on as you are because you have one coming and once he gets to 18 you will probably always have one. If you don't want one then act now to change things; there may be some rows but so what. Stay firm and precise about what the future holds and stick to it because this lad needs some discipline NOW.
Akidma
Akidma
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to And the rest...