what to do when told you're a bad teacher!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

what to do when told you're a bad teacher!

Postby 99probutchicoaint1 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:03 am

I have been working as an ESL teacher for the past year in Spain. Last night I was out with my English speaking friends when a stranger came up to me and told me that he knew one of my old adult students from when I first started and told me I was a bad teacher. He then persisted I come with him to speak to this old student and I refused and told him to leave me alone. It took me awhile to get rid of him and I got upset and left. This is my first time teaching and this is the first time I have had a real negative response to my teaching abilities. I have stayed up all night questioning my choice of career as I do really like my job and I am now wondering if I am a bad teacher and are my students wasting their time? I feel like I have lost all my confidence over one lousy comment but to be told by a stranger that he heard you're a bad teacher is really hurtful and most of all embarrassing especially when I work in such a small town where everyone knows everyone.
99probutchicoaint1
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: what to do when told you're a bad teacher!

Postby flashcampbell » Sat May 23, 2015 10:51 pm

This is just one comment out of how many? ? You can't please everyone. Maybe he didn't rate your teaching but there may be many who do. You did right not to engage and it would've upset me too but try not to personalise it
flashcampbell
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby David020549 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:52 pm

To be a teacher you have got to have absolute confidence in your ability, really want to help your students learn and have a hide as thick as a rhino.
If you don't have these qualities pack it in.
David020549
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby janjan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi,

I know this is an older post, but I do hope you have not let this comment get you down. Unfortunately, we always remember to one bad comment, and tend to overlook the hundreds of positive ones.
janjan
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Work & Colleagues