Do you ever read your posts from years ago...

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Do you ever read your posts from years ago...

Postby Tarantula » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:05 pm

... and wonder what in the holy teapot's name you were thinking??

I'm doing that now. Boy, my ideas about things sure have changed since I first signed up when I was 15, and I'm 22 now.

In a way, all my postings are like a diary which I never thought I'd end up having.

I'm cringing at some of my earlier stuff, but also seeing the funny side of my naive teenage understandings and how real it all felt to me back then.

Hold tight for me being 29 and thinking the same about today!

Do any other long-standing members of this forum have the same feeling of how much things have changed?
Tarantula
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: Do you ever read your posts from years ago...

Postby rufio89 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 pm

I was with this guy when I signed up who I was SO so so so in love with. Reading back through my old posts I think mainly - wow I was really uptight and annoying, no wonder we fought so much, but on the other hand, what was I thinking. We broke up just over 4 years ago now and I remember genuinely thinking that I would NEVER feel better after we broke up. It took a long time to move on but I met up with him about 6 months ago and we had a really nice time - at the end of the night he lent in to kiss me and I felt actually physically sick - I never thought I'd be able to just live a normal life without him let alone be actually repulsed by him. I've tried to remember that anytime Ive been hurting about someone else since!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Tarantula » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:18 pm

I know the feeling! I experienced something similar with my first bf, who I think was also the first guy I wrote about on here.

I wonder if they think the same about us..? Well I guess probably not, if he tried it on with you!
Tarantula
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby all_apologies » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm

I have literally just been doing exactly the same thing. I joined the site almost ten years ago, as a 17-year-old still in high school. It's actually a nice record of growing up, especially with the site's very personal nature. It's funny how much you trivialise things that were once a huge deal to you!
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CrystalStarr » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:05 pm

That's so funny I've just come across this post and immediately before I did I'd just read all my old posts from 2006! It makes me want to go back and give myself a good shaking. The posts I wrote about my first bf - I don't even know why I was with the guy if we were in trouble after 3 months! Ah but it's all shaped who and where I am now, so without having those issues I would never have learnt!
CrystalStarr
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby sparkly_star » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:41 am

No, I avoid reading them, not even sure they're all still there :lol:
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby brfc » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:29 pm

Just popped in cant believe its nearly 10 years ago i. joined pp. time goes so fast and so much has happened.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby pinkroses » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:25 pm

I just read some of my posts back today and realised how things have changed since I first joined especially about my Child's progress,some things I disagreed with I actually agree with and I wish I could've realised a long time ago.
pinkroses
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby snail » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Yes, it's easy to forget how far you've come. It's like keeping a diary, but with the added bonus of contributions from other people as well. I think the main thing that strikes me is how I was often intensely preoccupied about something - a relationship, a work situation - that didn't last and wasn't really that important. I wish I'd kept in mind at the time that it might not turn out to be as important as I thought it was.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:43 pm

It's really interesting to read through isn't it?

I've just written a (massive) essay to myself about all the significant things going on in my life at the moment. It was quite cathartic to write and even though all the things - good and bad - feel really important right now, I wonder how they'll appear if I read it again in 10 years.

I've started managing to calm myself down (slightly) in emotional situations by saying to myself "how are you going to feel about this in 6 months, or a year or 5 years". It's quite a helpful tool and has helped me keep my temper a bit better. It's also getting me through the last 6 months at work before I start uni!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby snail » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:01 pm

rufio89 wrote:It's also getting me through the last 6 months at work before I start uni!

Ah, so you've decided to definitely go then? That sounds like exciting news.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Yep. UCAS application went off today, I'm very excited, but also very nervous! It's going to be such a big shake up in my life but I'm 99.9% sure it'll be for the better so I just need to be patient :)
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby pinkroses » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Funnily enough I was about to when I saw this thread,it has been a long time since I was on here last.
pinkroses
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby fairy_of_darkness2 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:17 pm

I have been doing this all week! I had posted about 450 times on my old account!! SO CRINGE some of it but i was only 15 so i guess that's ok. Nice to see which parts i still relate to and which parts I have worked through and moved on from. I told my therapist about doing so and she said i must be ready to "Let go" of that person which i thought was a nice way to look at it.
fairy_of_darkness2
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby spacegirl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Haha was just doing that and cringing at myself :lol: :oops:

I had so much unnecessary boy drama, and I went out with some absolute $@&%*s! What was I thinking?! My hubby is the exact opposite of what at the time I clearly thought was my "type" and thank God lol. I got a bit nostalgic reading through all of the conversations though, I hope all the old-school pp-ers are doing well :D
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Next

Return to Chit Chat