What do I do?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

What do I do?

Postby deteria » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:25 am

Hi, I'm 26 weeks pregnant. I have been off work for quite a long time due to morning sickness, other pregnancy relates problems and also stress (I have a LOT on my plate at the moment...)

I have been receiving doctors notes and sending them into work (although I have been late handing them into work a few times). I have was on and off work with sickness from January to March when one of my supervisors advised me that it might be wise to take the time off for myself, and so I was letting work down on the mornings I was too ill to work. So I have had a constant doctors nore and haven't been back to work since March.

I get paid at the end of every month, and at the end of April I got over £300 paid from work which I assumed was sick pay. Last month I only got paid £80 so I rang the HR and asked them if my SSP had run out and she told me that payroll hasn't recieved a valid sick note from me since the end of February. I explained that I had handed them into work but she said payroll hasn't recieved them.

I haven't actually spoken to work for quite a long time, although they have left me voicemails asking me to get in touch. I know I should have called them, but the last time I called in my manager was quite intrusive and was asking me a lot of questions about why I was off. She told me she had to know the EXACT reasons I was off, and then starting asking me a lot of questions about my mums breast cancer and about my grandad dying (some of the reasons adding to the stress). I was really uncomfortable answering her questions, as some stuff was very personal and I don't feel like she should have been allowed to question me like that. I haven't spoken to work since as I don't want to answer all her questions again.

I have looked online, and as far as I can see I don't think I am entitled to SSP as I don't do enough hours. I don't know whether to just ring HR and try sort it out with them. I know I need to call work but I'm scared of what they are going to say to me because I haven't spoken to then for so long.
deteria
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: What do I do?

Postby snail » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:39 pm

You will have to bite the bullet and call someone - the longer you put it off, the bigger it will loom. Try calling HR first if that is less daunting, as you never know, you may be able to sort it out with them alone. They might also be able to give you guidance about what your manager can ask (I'm pretty sure she doesn't have the right to know the exact reasons for your stress - I think she just wanted to, to be clear in her own mind).

If making the call is too much for you and might make you more ill, can someone else call for you? If work has left messages asking you to call, you do need to act on that in some way if you need the income.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What do I do?

Postby Mrconfused74 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:28 pm

Although companies policies can vary, I would assume that even though you have handed in a sick note, they would still expect you too stay in contact with them during this time. Perhaps the lack of communication on your part is what prompted the questions from your manager! They also have a duty of care to you, so they will try to contact you while you are absent especially for long periods of time. Failure on your part to abide by any policy relating to absence can result in disciplinary action. So it's important you contact work ASAP. If they ask lots of questions then just say that you don't feel they are appropriate and they should stop. It's likely they are concerned especially due to the if communication on your part. So call them Monday, you could even suggest that they email you any queries so you can answer them but not feel under pressure.
Mrconfused74
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues