depression vs self pity

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

depression vs self pity

Postby mike1234 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:53 pm

What would you say is the difference between depression and self pity?
Is there a link and is it fair to say to those are dealing with self pity to simply snap out of it?
mike1234
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: depression vs self pity

Postby reckoner » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:19 pm

This seems like quite a loaded question. it sounds like someone wants someone to "snap out of it". Is the second someone you? Or the first someone? Or both?

To address your question more generally, i don't think people who haven't experienced depression get it. I have felt very depressed at times in my life, but never considered it to be 'depression'; there was always a cause and feeling depressed always felt like a very reasonable effect. And whenever I've come close to what I've thought depression might feel like, a person who has actually suffered from it has told me it's nothing like that. So I can only conclude that if you haven't experienced it, you can't know what it's like. And there seems to be an increasing number of reports linking depression to physical causes (including the parasite living in cat poo). I'd expect it's no more possible for someone with depression to 'snap out of it' than snapping out of concussion.

Not that I think telling anyone to snap out of anything has ever helped anyone, whether it was depression, self pity, or after a screening of Watership Down. If your post is about you wanting yourself to snap out of it, give it a try.
reckoner
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Mental wellbeing