Are long distance relationships worth it?

For problems with girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, wives, lovers and leavers!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Yes - it makes it stronger
22%
No - it ruins it
78%

Total votes : 9

Postby faded » Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:20 pm

What do you reckon?
faded
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Lauren_2002 » Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:16 am

Its well worth it if you love him/her!
I've been with my turkish bf for 3 years, i met him when i was 13 and i love him so much!
It is very, very hard but if u know that they are the love of your life you'll work at it and put 200% into the realationship.
I only get to see my bf evry now and then but its worth it in the long run.
I am moving out there in 2-3 yrs and can't wait to be with him!
As much as it is hard it will get easier.
Take care Lauren xxx
Lauren_2002
Just Landed
Just Landed

cheers

Postby faded » Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:38 pm

well, this one lives in Aberdeen, and I'm in Portsmouth, but your really IS long distance!

Any others?
faded
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Loopy » Sat Sep 28, 2002 9:41 pm

well i'm off to reading and my current love interest has just gone to plymouth. we decided to call it quits but i wish i hadn't. i think if you're meant to be together then you'll find each other again someday.
As far as my love life goes, we're just going to call each other at christmas and see how we feel. i think long distance can work if you're both 100% commited to the relationship, and you have a strong base to begin with.
Loopy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby shz » Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:18 pm

It depends on the person you are with but most of the time long distance relationships hardly work as it need total commintments and lots of trust.
Aberdeen is quite a long way fae portsmouth, i should know!! since i live in aberdeen.
If u are truly commited and have total trust in this person, there is a chance it will work.
Hope it goes okay for both of u.
shz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby faded » Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:24 am

Well if you know a bagpiper named Stuart say hello for me.
faded
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby misatok11 » Sun Sep 29, 2002 3:21 pm

I'm married now and my long distance relationship worked. she was in St. Andrews and i'm from the granite city itself (Aberdeen). The only reason long distance relationships fail is if you don't try or one of you can't be bothered.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby shz » Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:04 pm

I am sorry but i dont know a bagpiper called Stuart!
shz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

ah well

Postby faded » Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:55 am

I didn't think you would! But he is so nice.
faded
Just Landed
Just Landed

vote!

Postby Enigma » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:52 am

What's your opinion?
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:55 am

My vote is based on what I've seen happen with other peoples relationships. Although I know long distance relationships can prove beneficial for a relationship, I think the majority of relationships are drastically affected by the strain of lovers being apart...
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby vinny1979er » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:29 am

deleted
Last edited by vinny1979er on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vinny1979er
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Angelic » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:51 pm

I know someone who has just split up with her partner of three years. They got together a few months before she went to uni and maintained a relationship for the whole time with her at uni, quite a distance away from where he lived. They obviously saw each other over summer etc.

However, this summer she finished uni and at new year they split up. She felt they were now seeing too much of each other and it made her realise she didnt feel the same for him.

There were other factors involved such as she is 21 and he is 28 and so maybe they are at different stages in their lives but this had not really become apparent or an issue as the majority of the time they were apart.
Angelic
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bubble » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:48 pm

I'm not so sure that they do work. When i was younger i was in a similar situation to Lauren, I met an english lad who lived in malta cos his parents sold timeshares, and we started something. In a year i managed to get over there three times. When i was back home he'd call me all the time. Then he met a girl over there and stopped calling. However four years on, i haven't seen him but we are the best of friends. He's in england now and we are always on the phone, It doesn't matter where he is he will always call me. I also met a guy on holiday in 2002 when i went away with my friends. We would have been perfect for each other if he had lived down here and not in Aberdeen,but we are still good friends. (Why is it all the nice men are so far away)
What i learnt from my experience is that long distance relationships don't often tend to work out, but they do forge some great friendships.
Good luck. x
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Aldo » Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:28 pm

Never had a long distance relationship, so I guess from a naive point of view I think it can work. Dont know why, I think it just can.
If you dont ask you will never know
Aldo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Girlfriends & Boyfriends - Husbands & Wives