Regarding the use of Colloquial Language on here...

Are you a registered user having trouble using the forums? Come here to ask for support, especially if something doesn't work as expected.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Do you agree that there is too much colloquial language being used?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 20

Postby Fidel » Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:07 pm

I agree that many people's English (that includes me but I have a decnt excuse!) is poor. Misplaced apostrophe's (hehe), bad grammer, etc. Plus It looks messy when things aren't properly punctuated.
Regarding the use of colloqualisms - I feel that English is a living language and that local dialect is an important part of language today. English needs to change to stay alive - look at Latin. It died. Text message slang in Russia is very funny. When I was back there in the autumn it was strange to see the inventive use of that language(!)

Fidel
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sovs » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:37 pm

There is a disgracful amount of text lingo being used.
The members dont realise it takes up our time going through the post having to edit them.
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:29 am

In case anyone hadn't noticed, we have not reinforced our requests about this publicly for a long time. However, the frequency of the problem has increased. The moderators spend a lot of time converting posts that are composed with TXT LNGO into proper English, and then we contact the individual members. This is an English speaking site and users are expected to use English.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Beckyt » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:10 am

Ok fair enough, I appreciate that this is an english speaking persons site but I really do think that it is the least of some people's worries.

I can understand the point about text lingo because it is not so much annoying as down right lazy as somebody pointed out.

Also when I first posted here I didn't see any pointers about writing in proper English, I do because I find it a natural thing to do. Perhaps it should be made clearer to anyone new who joins?

Thanks for your patience, I could see that people were responding with gritted teeth especially the moderators and thats perfectly reasonable when someone has a different opinion that paradoxes their own.
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby saz » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:47 am

It can be very difficult to read posts in text language. I dont use it day to day and dont understand a lot of the terms. When i was at school the texting and mobile phones weren't around like they are today so by using text language apart from the stated reasons that it is hard to read, it can also deter people from replying to posts if they dont understand the lingo. I dont want a situation where some people feel alienated because they dont use or understand it.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:55 am

I think its a shame that more and more kids are using text lingo as a language
Schools should be stopping it and teaching proper english
It wont help kids later for job prospects if thats the way they write
I think it is lazy
There is a difference in the words cum/come
to and 2 gets me racking my brain all the time it dont make sense sometimes when you are in the middle of reading something

God knows what the kids school books look like at school
If this is the case then teachers are not giving them good job prospects surely
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:59 pm

It doesn't take very long to add an 'e' to a 'b' for 'be' instead of just plain 'b' does it? Shortening some words like because is ok sometimes but we are all taught language and spelling at school and should use it!

I understand it is the way things are at the moment but really we might be doing people a favour because when they go to get jobs, a boss will not be impressed with their literacy if they use text lingo at work.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:40 pm

Mine isn't too bad is it?

Honestly............
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:46 pm

Only a few times fidel U instead of you etc
Bur nothing serious so dont worry
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:56 pm

gd gd (hehe) :lol:
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:56 pm

I agree that forum rules and regulations need to be linked to more prominently, and I think this is something that will be sorted out when the forums next get an upgrade.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:53 pm

Well i am trying to get better at not writing text lingo but sometimes I do just happen to write some things shortened. I can actually read text lingo very quickly because i am used to reading it as I am always talking to my friend on msn.

Depman said God knows what the kids school books look like at school
If this is the case then teachers are not giving them good job prospects surely

I just want to say that me and my friends don't actually write text lingo in our school books and we don't do it with any of our school work and actually I don't think anyone in my class does it....just had to say that! people on here are giving teenagers a bad name!!
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:06 pm

This topic is about the use of bad grammar, punctuation, and spelling: not the people that are posting it.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jo » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:42 pm

I have to say, my main problem is with the TXT language, not so much coloquial language. Another one is not using paragraphs. Actually that's probably my biggest bugbear. A big chunk of text with no breaks is probably the most offputting thing.

It stops the message getting across to the widest possible audience because many people just won't bother to read it the two or three times it takes in order to understand the message.
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Fidel » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:31 pm

yeah, I don't read the big chunky messages
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Support