Need to save £1000 in 4-5 months

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Need to save £1000 in 4-5 months

Postby dazed_bubble » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:18 pm

i am starting uni in september, but i'm moving to rent a flat where i'm going to uni in about 5 months, my bf is coming too. we want to save enough money to buy all the stuff we need, furniture, appliances etc, plus all the installation fees for things etc. thing is, i have a crappy job at the mo as a waitress and the only qualifications i have are gcses and a computer literacy certificate. we want to save £1000 each between now and when we move, my bf has a decent job and should be able to manage it. so the q. is, what job could i get that would allow me to save at least £1000 in 4-5 months? i'd need to save around £50 a week, the only things i pay are £30 a week to my parents and about a tenner a month to a credit card. so any ideas people?
dazed_bubble
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:25 pm

Try to get a job in stock management or admin, thats what I used to work in and in 4 months I think I earned over £2500... i've left now to continue with my pilot training and work at my flying school in charge of ops and doing Air traffic controlling.

You could always try working a night shift somewhere, as they have to pay a bigger wage as it's unsociable hours, but i've done night work and certainly dont recommend it.

I should imagine a job as a secretary is a fairly well paid job, or jobs that regard to administration, so try to do something within that field. As you have a computer literacy qualification, it may help you get into the field of admin.

Good luck

All the best

Ashley
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Enigma » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:54 pm

How are you for customer services? Call centre work would more than cover the amount of cash that you want to save.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:01 am

I hope you're planning on buying all new stuff!

Auction sales and garage sales are awesome places to go to find the things you need to get a place started. I am a huge cooker, so I really wanted all new kitchen stuff, but the rest...meh!
You'll find a lot of junk, but there's always the odd jem just waiin to be found. I got an awesome coffee table for $2...I made it over by spraypainting the the top with chalkboard spraypaint, so now it doubles as a message board.
My couch cost me $5...no joke. It's in awesome condition, a nice colour (not those awful orange/green/brown couches of the 70s!), and the most comfortable thing!
Don't save up all your money and then go out and try to find things a few weeks before you want to move in. Look for stuff starting now. I had my couch and my coffee table for months before I moved away from home. And if you are wanting to buy some things new, keep a real sharp eye for deals and sales...especially warehouse clearances.
Remember, you're just a student...you can't afford or need all top of the line brand new items...so don't wear yourself ragged trying to get them.

Cut back on a lot of your current expenses. Don't go out for dinner if you don't have to. Bring a lunch to work. Ooo...nice top? Do you really need it?

Offer to do odd jobs...neighbours are always looking for someone to clean their windows...mow their lawn (lol, do you guys do that over there?), do some gardening. Its all the little things that count.

Anyways, good luck!
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dazed_bubble » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:06 am

Thanks everyone, i was thinking admin or call centre type stuff would be the best option. i would quite happily buy second hand stuff llisa, that's a good idea. i think £2000 would be a lot more than we'd need, but i just want to be on the safe side. do you know any places i could find call centre work?
dazed_bubble
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby smile » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:03 am

You could try this site: http://www.totaljobs.co.uk/jobseekers/totaljobs.asp or do a search on Google for "Job Sites".
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby worstfriend » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:18 am

Remember that, depending on which city/town you go to, many flats are let as furinshed or part-furnished.

I live in GLasgow and i rented loads of student flats. Most come fully furnished with beds, tables, sofas, wardrobes, you name it.

Look around the flat market where you're going to see what your options are.

WF
worstfriend
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dazed_bubble » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:54 pm

thanks for those links smile :)

worstfriend - we're on the list for a council flat so if we get one there wont be anything in it i don't think
dazed_bubble
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby cheese100 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:23 pm

hi
Good luck with the house and a new job cheese xx
cheese100
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby saz » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:58 am

Maybe you are overestimating what it is going to cost you in furniture etc. When you first move out most relatives and friends donate loads of things and as Llisa has already said, there are loads of places you can go and get things cheaper. There aren't many people who buy all new when they first start out, and a 2 year old washing machine out of the newspaper can be a lot cheaper than one from a comercial shop, and just as reliable most of the time.

If i were you, i would actually go round and look at things getting an idea of the cost before you work yourself ragged trying to save. Shops like IKEA are really cheap and have lots of budget type furniture which will last you. Ask around you will be surprised how many people have cookers and microwaves in their garages.

Dont worry about it too much i am sure things will be ok. Keep looking around for work that pays well though because it is nice to have a bit behind you when you start out. Jobs such as stacking shelves in supermarkets in the evenings pays quite well, or contact a temping agency for a bit of work. It depends on how much time you have to donate to working, because nowadays most decent full time jobs pay about £200-£250 a week, and on your outgoings it wouldn't take long to save up.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to And the rest...