What's wrong with schools and teachers?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Enigma » Thu May 06, 2004 5:03 pm

I've noticed a common negative view of your schools and the teachers that work in them. I would be interested in any experiences, or lack of experiences, that would justify such a common view?
Last edited by Enigma on Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Thu May 06, 2004 5:06 pm

My French teacher is rubbish. She just waffles all the time about her ailments. I haven't learned anything since November
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby luvva » Thu May 06, 2004 5:53 pm

One of my teachers just dictates to us the whole lesson and we can't talk at all because we wouldn't be able to catch up with all the writing. She either dictates or spends the whole lesson joking around and tells us what she did at the weekend or making fun of people in the class.

Then when we have tests she tells us to revise, so we end up spending the whole weekend going through the pages we've written. I wouldn't mind doing one lesson of that in a class if it was really important work, but she doesn't even teach us, just reads all lesson.
luvva
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby daveshow » Thu May 06, 2004 6:11 pm

Well i think they should bring back the belt because the way some people talk to teachers is outragous it disrupts everyone and is a plane lack of respect we need discipline now!!!!! i also think that younger teachers are rubbish because you can get away with more things, ifs a subject i like then i would prefer to get an older teacher because of there experience and abilty to keep control. Perhaps in the future the young teachers will become like the older ones otherwise schools will have total meltdowns.
"I eat green berets for breakfast and right now i'm very hungry"
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Fidel » Thu May 06, 2004 6:46 pm

Well, corporal punishment infringes basic human rights
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby tinker1 » Thu May 06, 2004 8:12 pm

I had lots of cool teachers would you could have a right laugh with, But the majority of them were idiots, sad or tried to be funny and cool but just wern't!! I had a good laugh at school and quite enjoyed it.
tinker1
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby daveshow » Thu May 06, 2004 9:16 pm

Who decids human rights? Some fat idiot in the EU? if it helps to create discipled children instead of a bunch of neds then break the human rights i would'nt mind getting a skelp for being bad.
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Llisa » Thu May 06, 2004 9:57 pm

I think if you don't want to be at school, and you don't want to learn anything...of course you're going to find something wrong with everyone of your teachers! I agree, there are some pretty lame brain people out there who teach...but that's the same in every profession. The majority of teachers are teaching because they really want to help kids out. Sometimes they just don't know how to use the right approach...that's all. I can think back to all of my teachers, and I can think of at least one thing that I liked about all of them.
Daveshow brings up an excellent point that kids today don't make it easy on teachers at all. I too personally think the strap should be brought back. It didn't kill kids a couple decades ago...why would it do it now? There is a definite lack of respect nowadays, and the thought of being sent to the principals office just doesn't scare most people anymore.
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby daveshow » Thu May 06, 2004 10:14 pm

Llisa wrote: I too personally think the strap should be brought back. It didn't kill kids a couple decades ago...why would it do it now? There is a definite lack of respect nowadays, and the thought of being sent to the principals office just doesn't scare most people anymore.

thanks for agreeing with me :) I think whats to blame is society becoming too liberal these stupid changes are pointless.My craft and design teacher has said we cant do sand casting anymore because its unsafe.He then went on to say its not any more dangerousthan it was 20 years ago.Liberalism is affecting our educations. In one of our pointles RE classes we were told that discipline has to be installed in people from a young age and i say if parents wont do it then schools should :evil: they should also bring back national service :P
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby depman » Thu May 06, 2004 11:23 pm

They had the cane whan I was at school and I got it once
There was definatly more respect for teachers when I was at school and you feared being sent to the Headmaster
It made everyone behave though

I think kids have got it too easy today
Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur!
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

punishment

Postby bobbyt » Fri May 07, 2004 6:29 am

Hiya!

Yeah, bring back the cane. Although I'm 18, I think they're's too many kids who don't have respect for others.

One thing I was impressed with was written in 'The Sun' - A boy had messed up a bus and threw flour over someone, and his mother had marched him down to the depot and made him clean busses for a week unpaid! It makes a pleasant change to the usual 'my poor child is stressed, it gives them an excuse to misbehave' and all the other rubbish some parents come out with.

The quicker we get out of the EU the better, this country is becoming a shambles, with the compensation culture and 'human rights'.

Cya's all,
bobbyt
bobbyt
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby saz » Fri May 07, 2004 8:49 am

Hehe dont start me on the behaviour of children at school because there is one very simple answer to that - parents! It is not the job of teachers to bring children up with manners and i certainly dont believe they should be beat into someone. You can't teach a dog old tricks and if they are badly behaved by their teenage years, then that behaviour was taught to them at home.

I think teachers get a really hard time, lots of things are blamed on them that aren't down to them, such as pupils bad behaviour. I think there is nothing wrong with a strict teacher who sticks to the rules but i think i learnt more from the teachers who were more relaxed and had fun in lessons. We had a history teacher who was just so funny and made lessons great so you wanted to go, whereas the strict ones who just shouted at you all day you didn't want to learn anything.

Schools do have a hard time too because the moment they make a decision on discipline or punishment, the pupils mother goes down and makes a fuss over whatever it is - therefore trying to overrule the decision. A decision should be stuck to, if a child is expelled there must be a good reason what is the point in appealing? It makes the schools decisions look stupid and parents should also abide by the decisions made.

I loved that story about the boy and the flour - that is what needs to happen and it is down to the parents NOT teachers to do this.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby depman » Fri May 07, 2004 10:05 am

There is no dicipline in schools anymore
Like saz said the mother and father are straight down and ready to sue
Hence the kids are little brats because they get away with anything
When the spurs go marching in

depman
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Fri May 07, 2004 12:45 pm

There is discipline in schools but they have to be so careful because parents are ready to jump on everything they do. It must be a nightmare for a head teacher when they want to make a decision knowing the backlash from a mum who thinks their kid is an angel.

Parents need to work so much closer with teachers on this because once a year parents evening doesn't really mean they are all getting to know and trust each other. This is why bullying can get out of hand because there is no communication and cooperation.

Teachers get paid to educate children and if parents arent willing to do the same then you are never going to get anywhere. So parents should take a more active role and interest in their childrens schooling to be honest. Most parents have no idea about what goes on in their children's school because they are too busy working and doing things themselves. This is very wrong if you choose to have kids you have to accept that until they leave education, you are just as responsible for their education as the teachers are. No point blaming the teachers for a child failing if the parents haven't made any effort.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby daveshow » Fri May 07, 2004 12:45 pm

Some of the teachers in my school give you a slap albeit a halfhearted one but i wouldnt complain if i did get a slap for being genuinly cheeky.

Also the EU is a waste of time money and effort. They are ruining Britain and making us turn into a bunch of liberal yellow bellies like the you now whose
daveshow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Chit Chat