No one is ever in there??

Are you a registered user having trouble using the forums? Come here to ask for support, especially if something doesn't work as expected.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Enigma » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:42 pm

All communications made through the chat room are logged, and all communications made through this website can be accessed if the need for such an action was required.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Moose » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:03 pm

Maybe it's not ideal that moderators can read your conversations, but, hey, if you want to talk really privately, it's probably best just to use MSN.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jo » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:19 pm

It is actually possible to read them but we usually don't. We would only do this if someone was complaining of receiving abusive messages or something.

Its the same with a lot of chat or forum systems - the technical people who put things in place can usually access every part of it. For example, the people who work at the bank can access all your bank details and the people who work at BT can get onto your phone line.

What happens with this particular chat room system is that ALL messages are available for moderators to see in the admin section for about an hour. But like I've said, we wouldn't actually go and look unless there was a particular reason to do so.

One thing you need to be aware of is that NOTHING is really private on the Internet! Anything you do on a computer can be traced. So, if you want to do something private don't do it on a PC and certainly don't do it on the Internet!
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Rock_Queen » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:07 pm

Jo wrote: We would only do this if someone was complaining of receiving abusive messages or something.

or if someone mentioned the matrix? :-s
Rock_Queen
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby sparkly_star » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:19 pm

Rock_Queen wrote:
Jo wrote: We would only do this if someone was complaining of receiving abusive messages or something.

or if someone mentioned the matrix? :-s

Yeah....
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:40 pm

why, what happened Claire?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Rock_Queen » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:56 pm

some people *ahem* were talking about the matrix.

then, out of the blue a comment was made in the main "chat" section about what we had just said.
Rock_Queen
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby sparkly_star » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:01 am

It was creepy....
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
sparkly_star
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:08 am

ah right, so private chat is moderated when theres no need then.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Jo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:14 am

I must have been absent that night. I should imagine it was very creepy :lol:

One thing that the chat room lets you do is the popping up of messages on everyones screen. Enigma was doing it one night with messages from the Exorcist, very creepy till I realised where it was coming from! 8-[
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Jo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:27 am

captain_flynn:
ah right, so private chat is moderated when theres no need then.

captain_flynn, I can't comment on what happened on the 'Matrix' night because I wasn't there, but private chat is not exactly moderated.

Having said that, Private means private from the public chat room - it does not mean that moderators will never see a private chat message in the admin section.

Remember, NOTHING on the internet is really private, not on any site, not in any e-mail, not in any forum. You can run but you can't hide...

So if you have something you want to keep private just don't do it on the Internet. :-#
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Previous

Return to Forum Support