Regarding the use of Colloquial Language on here...

Are you a registered user having trouble using the forums? Come here to ask for support, especially if something doesn't work as expected.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Do you agree that there is too much colloquial language being used?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 20

Regarding the use of Colloquial Language on here...

Postby Llisa » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:52 pm

Hello everyone,
This isn't really a problem persay, but I have a concern about the way some people are typing. It's very difficult to read a number of posts that people put up, and therefore, I often (as I'm sure others do) have a hard time interpreting just what the problem IS exactly. I really like helping people, and giving them advice, but I find it frustrating when I can't even understand half of what a person is asking. Some people have said that they are only such and such an age, so they're allowed to talk babyish or however...but it really doesn't take that much effort to type out an entire word. If you'd like people to help you, plase be considerate and use whole words instead of letting us guess what you're trying to say.
Thanks,
Llisa
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bubble » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:07 pm

Llisa, i believe myself and the other moderators will agree with you too that too much colloquial language is being used. Wherever possible, and time allowing, we try and edit the use of such 'lazy' language as the internet is still a place where correct and even basic english grammatical rules must be followed. It is a problem that we are trying to sort out. But all we can do for the moment is ask that users do use correct grammar when posting a topic or reply.
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Enigma » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:00 pm

We wholeheartedly agree Llisa.

Although we can't force people to honour our requests, we can remove their membership if they don't. Of course, that is not something we wish we had to do, because we are here to help people that come for it.

We will contact members to point out what we feel is a problem, and if this is not corrected we may then terminate membership to the forums. This request will either be done in a private message, by e-mail, or in a reply to an offending post.

Membership can be terminated by the forum administrators without prior warning.

We feel that the following is inappropriate:
- consistently making posts without attention to spelling, grammar, or punctuation
- constant use of txt lingo
- use of profanity or potentially offensive slang terms
- posts with negative comments and disparaging remarks to other members of the forums or about a person or group of people based on their beliefs, conditions, creed, culture, gender, interests, location, lifestyle, race, religion or sexuality -
and of course their problems.
- advertising out of context or without authorisation from the moderator team

Details about the members of the moderator team can be found within the Usergroups section.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby misatok11 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:03 pm

Most of the language seems to be formatted in text jargon. Along with may others i find it is hard to read. Please be considerate to others. You were taught English in school (most of us anyway). Please use it.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

I agree

Postby Cat Queen » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:45 pm

I find some of our younger members a bit distasteful with there words! :o Some of the stuff they say is outrageous! They seem to have NO subtlety with sensitive issuses etc. I wont mention any members names, but I think they should have so many chances and warnings, then if not complying, terminate there membership! Some of the grammer and spelling needs to be sorted, I can`t understand some of the posts, so can`t reply to them! :roll: Lets see action! :wink:
"Life is like a box of chocolates",
can never get enough and get fat on them!!!
Love Lou XXXX
Cat Queen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Aldo » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:25 pm

Agreed. However, with regard to some "troublesome" members, it would be great if you come across one or maybe frequent inappropriate behaviour can some let mods know and maybe give the reference thread. It helps us all out. :D
If you dont ask you will never know
Aldo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Enigma » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:50 pm

I ask and ask and we tell off people. After that the only thing we can do is get rid of them.

Unless someone has an idea of how we can make people write properly there is nothing else we can do - is there?
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:32 pm

Hey,
Thanks for the response you guys. For all you people out there who are reading this and don't respond, that's ok, but please take th poll! I'm curious to see if there's anyone else besides the mods who agree with me.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby smile » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:42 pm

I agree totally, when I first read the title of this post I had no idea what it meant. lol Colloquial??? :roll: I can never understand problems when they are typed in 'text talk'. Why can't people just type properly. I'm 15 but can't understand the text talk half the time. We are sparing our own time to help people with their problems so why should I spend extra time trying to figure out what a post says. I just ignore the text talk posts now. Interesting to know what everyone else thinks though.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Mr.L » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:09 pm

lol ok mod people i want to know.. am i too inappropiate at times? because i really dont mean to be and i've had two warnings i think
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby misatok11 » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:46 pm

You have been fine recently. Back at the start you did swear a bit and didnt provide help. Stay that way and we'll all be happy! :D
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Llisa » Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:40 pm

Enigma, you asked if there was anyway we could make people write properly. I know that you moderators must work very hard to keep this site on their toes...and maybe this idea is just causing a lot of work, but there's a program that I had at my highschool that automatically did all your spell checking for you. If the spell checker didn't know what a word was, it brought it up, and you HAD to change it. It was part of my English course, and I wish I could remember the name of it. It litterally wouldn't let you print anything that was mispelled (like...I think that word is). I can imagine though, that it would probably take a lot of work to set up something like that...but it's the only thing I can think of.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:18 am

The bad spelling and txt speak words are really making things difficult for me now. Yesterday I must have read and re-read the same post about 5 times and in the end i gave up because i just couldn't make any sense of it. I am having trouble reading the posts where all the words and spellings are muddled up and also the way some of them are written (no paragraphs or too many). Glad it isn't just me then.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby smile » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:25 am

Hi Saz,

At the moment the moderator team are tackling the problem as best as we can. If we see a post in most text talk then we PM the user and ask them to type in proper english. Hopefully most members will get the point and start typing properly! [-o<

If you see a post which breaks the forum rules, or a post that you find harder to read just let me or another of the moderators know by PM and we will check out the post and if necessary, contact the user and ask him/her to type properly. That's what we're here for!

Thanks,

Smile
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Beckyt » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:27 pm

I'm probably a bit late on replying to this one but here goes. not wishing to offend or cause disrespect to the moderators or anyone on this site. But can I ask whether the issue about colloquial language is really an important issue to be concerned with on a site that gives help and advice?
I'm sorry to throw a spanner in the works a bit here but a lot of people posting on the site are desperate for help and they don't really care if their language isn't too brilliant or their spelling isn't up to scratch.
Ok so people need to be careful with what they say and tone their language down to an appropriate level but we have to remember that

a) Not everyone on this site is good at expressing themselves effectively through writing and this may possibly be part of the wider problem.

b) We have all been to school and done English lessons as some people rightly suggested. But that doesn't mean that everyone is that good at English and some people only have a very basic grasp on it anyway. Plus some people, myself included, can't type if our lives depended on it. So errors may come from there.

c) Surely as long as they get the basics down, then people can at least get the general gist and ask for more details should it be necessary.

I think this site does a fantastic job, people really do value the advice given. So I hope I'm not being derogative here when I say please don't let things like spelling, punctuation and typing errors alienate people and make them feel patronised because their language skills aren't great. We all have our faults thats the blessing of individuality.

Have I got a point or do people totally disagree with me?
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Next

Return to Forum Support