Euro? to have or not?Any info on it?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Euro or no Euro?

Euro
30%
No Euro
70%

Total votes : 10

Euro? to have or not?Any info on it?

Postby Cat Queen » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:14 pm

So what does everyone think of Britain`s plan to join the Euro? I am not sure at all. I`ve grown up with pounds and pence etc,and am quite happy with it! I also work as a cashier, so new money will cause NEW PROBS! :roll: I am going to Paris in August, But im still not sure of the exchange rate etc. Is it 1 euro is 60p? to our £?
"Life is like a box of chocolates",
can never get enough and get fat on them!!!
Love Lou XXXX
Cat Queen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bubble » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:19 pm

I think i'd go with no euro, although i don't know much about it, i know it will cause problems as it is a pain in the ass when i go abroad on holiday. I also feel quite sentimental towards the pound, i'd be sorry to see it go. It's something that makes the British unique and like cat queen i have grown up with it. Change isn't always good Mr Blair!
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby smile » Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:25 am

I'd definetly stick with the stirling! Why do we have to change our currency because Mr. Blair is trying to wiggle our way into Europe. I'm sure they don't want the UK in the EU. Look at the Eurovision Song Contest... I think that said something.... :roll:
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Mr.L » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:41 pm

hey heres the deal : if we join the euro then our currency will decrease a lot and our economy could rasha nd basically we'd be a poorer country but if we dont then things will be the same and our currency is 1.54 on the euro so were very good compared to the euro so theres no point in joining it so say NO!
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby misatok11 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:10 am

Sorry, i have to say euro. Businesses and us as a nation would profit.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Mr.L » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:44 am

NO! and as your going to france you should be happy that we have got sterlin! look!

1.00 GBP United Kingdom Pounds   =   1.41981 EUR Euro

1 GBP = 1.41981 EUR 1 EUR = 0.704321 GBP

Look our pound is much stronger and our ecnomy would not benefit. It would decrease because our money 'rate' or as it were 'strength' would lower. The euro really is rubbish and also our money, its part of our country. Its one of the few things left to symblolize how great britain is and all our national heroes. Say no to the euro cos in the end it wont benefit us. The only thing it will do is lose jobs, exchange rates dont need as may people any morre cosa the euro, take our economy down, but one good thing would be to save the 5 minute trip down to the exchnager but ud still not get as much. THE EURO SUCKS
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Mr.L » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:46 am

Oh yer 1 euro is £1.41 p so weve got the upper hand with the sterling
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby misatok11 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:27 am

if you think about it, money is all theoretical and just number crunching. The fact that we have already lost our national identity and became a mish mas of different cultures is hardly british at all. The great empire we once were has long set sail for more "americanised" ways of life.
Please explain to me what british image we would loose? As far as ican tell all we would loose is the stuck in the past attitudes that should have been buried with things like "privatisation."
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

admit ur wrong!

Postby Mr.L » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:32 am

weve still got to keep wat national pride we have left. Our money is one that can stay forever so we should keep it and be proud. ANd money isnt "all theoretical and just number crunching" its very important to have figures within the economy. Stock amrkets use this stuff yaknow. If our pound is stronger then the eurpo hence we are richer then the money and thus our money is able to buy more then theirs also wen in the country and exchanging our money is worth 40p more to every euro dont seem much but if u cash up 100 pound u get 140 euros, see?!
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby LL » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:02 pm

keep the pound
LL
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby misatok11 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:34 pm

If we join the euro think of having everything cheaper. Like having abroad here.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Jo » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:55 am

I think I'd go for the Euro, but I don't know enough about it to make an informed decision yet.

I'm not too worried about the 'Great Britain' thing because 'Great Britain' did a lot of things that we shouldn't be proud of. Also, like Misatok says, we are made up of a mish mash of other races anyway. We're not an ancient culture, like the Egyptians, for example.

In fact, if anything is 'all theoretical' it is the idea of national pride. Its also extremely subjective. I just think that you have to look to the future - not be stuck in old fashioned ideas of the past. But that's just my opinion! I think there are a lot of people in Britain who agree with you though Mr.L
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Mr.L » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:26 pm

Misakot it wud not b abroad here, instead everything would be more expensive because now we have euro money which is worth less! read my above topics and you'll see.
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby tumteetum » Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:11 am

why would we want to join the euro when most of the mainland europe countries hate us? just look at the french blocking the channel and the spanish having airport strikes...

things would still be more expensive here anyway because of 'shipping costs'. ha they dont even exist with the amount of stuff you can shift these days.

they will probably give us a really bad exchange rate when we do join the euro (market anticipation and all that rubbish) so that we will be less well off than before. also would you like your money being controlled by the germans who dont have the cleanest record either like us...

also if we become more integrated with europe we'd have to put mufflers on bagpipes because they are too loud :P and thats just stupid. (yes brussels or wherever it is did try to pass this law)

joining up with europe in my opinion would just de-value everything Britain has become known for and the fact that we already share alot with them has no meaning they still come and steal our fish from our waters and stuff...

im kinda against becoming one big family because then what would a country have apart from its geography to be unique? people have been mixed money is all the same the companies will eventually be the same... it would be kinda boring in 50 years time if 'europe' wasnt britain france germany netherlands sweden norway........ but just europe.

sorry if this is a bit long but its just a few of my feelings on this matter and they are kinda strong. i dont mean to offend people- just my opinion

plus whose language would we end up speaking? cos i dont understand any foreign babble ;)
tumteetum
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby sovs » Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:22 pm

I say no to the euro.

I just feel like England it losing all its heritage. and this would affect our econamy. The only people this will benefit is the government.
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Next

Return to Chit Chat