my friend has started cutting her wrists, wot do i do????

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

my friend has started cutting her wrists, wot do i do????

Postby sarahabi » Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:51 pm

on friday i came into skool and notice her buttons were done up on her shirt which was really unusual then when she lent over the table i saw red cutting marks. at lunch i asked her about it and she showed me them and told me about it. i think it was an attention thing because she is having problems at home wit the dad and brother. i'm really worried she does it again and seriously hurts herself. should i tell a teacher????? how do i act around her???? do i be normal????? do i tell her 2 stop it or will that encouarage her????? pls help me!!!! i have never been in this situation and i don't no how to handle it!!!!!!
sarahabi
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby stressed » Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:29 am

as a cutter myself my advice would be to act normal to her dont treat her different or she mite get a bit funny. try talking to her about it and give her support she needs you more than ever at this time and just let her no your here for her. if she wants to talk bout y shes doing it listen to her but dont pressure her into talking about it just be there for her and thats the best you can do!! good luck!!
stressed
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Em_L » Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:50 pm

My friend has had this problem, all you need to do is support her, find out what is wrong and help her through her problems.

If it gets to serious then you will need to tell someone who can help and that she wouldn't mind the support from.
Em_L
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Katie_morris2k3 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:39 am

Hey
My best friend also cuts herself alot, and in the past i have to but i think the best thing to do is talk 2 her about it. Be cool and just let her tell you why she has done this because if she has a big enough problem to do this then it probably means she needs to get something off her chest. Although if it is an attention seeking thing then you need to tell her its not healthy...dont shout etc but just tell her she's making it worse for herself by doing this...in my experience people who cut themselves usually do this to re-direct the pain from one place to another. Just be there for her if she needs you.
Good luck
XxXxK8xXxX
Katie_morris2k3
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi

Postby Beckyt » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:15 pm

Hi Speaking from personal experience I used to cut my wrists to get attention I would use razor blades, blades from pencil sharpeners, knives, anything sharp I could get my hands on that I knew wouldn't make that much mess. The only thing that made me realise what an idiot (sorry to sound blunt) I was being was when my friend shocked me by saying if I see those wrists cut again I will knock you out it's not on, there's plenty of people to talk to so stop being so pathetic. She really meant it aswell. I don't recommend this shock tactic as the best way of dealing with it but it certainly made me sit up and think. Also my friends got pretty concerned and said why don't you talk to us instead, you wrists look such a mess. I realised then that I wasn't alone and if I wanted attention then that wasn't the best way to go about it because I wasn't getting attention from the people I wanted it from.
What i'm trying to say is that sometimes all the tip toeing around just delays the person from getting help. Sometimes a short sharp wake up call makes people realise that there are people far worse off than themselves. You can hurt so many people by acting in a way that hurts yourself it's incredible. If you really want to help the best way is to tell your friend that you don't agree with what she's doing, she needs to get some help and you'll be there for her.
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to Friends