Missing PM's

Are you a registered user having trouble using the forums? Come here to ask for support, especially if something doesn't work as expected.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Missing PM's

Postby arwen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:25 pm

I got a load of e-mails the other day (about 5 or 6) saying "New Private Message has arrived" but when I logged on here I only had one PM.

Where did all my other PMs go? :(
arwen
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby smile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:29 pm

Hmm... could it be that they were old emails? And you had only read them now? If not then I really don't know what could have happened. Maybe a glitch in the forum software?!
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

Just remember to keep smiling!
smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:32 pm

Can you mods sign in on peoples accounts and delete them?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby arwen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:32 pm

Nope they were defintiely new, they were there with all the other topic reply notifications. Very odd :-?
arwen
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby all_apologies » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:33 pm

captain_flynn wrote:Can you mods sign in on peoples accounts and delete them?

Lol why would we want to do that!? Arwen, is your inbox full?
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby smile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:38 pm

captain_flynn wrote:Can you mods sign in on peoples accounts and delete them?

Nope we don't have the power to sign on to other people's accounts and we wouldn't do that even if we did. That's just going against the basic rules of privacy! I don't think Jo can do that either, what's the point?... #-o

Anyway arwen, it could be a glitch in the software as I once had about 30 PMs I deleted from my inbox. I logged on the next day and there they were sitting in my inbox again. Jo might be able to shed more light on this.
When you reach for the stars, you may not quite get them, but you won't come up with a handful of mud either.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:39 pm

I don't know, you might have personal reasons as to why you would wish to. Sometimes when we PM people we say things we dont mean, and if arwen's PM's were from a mod or two, they may have been abit unfair and decided to delete the PM?

In each persons out box, you can delete the PM's, does this mean that the person doesn't get the PM? I might get a forum member to put that one into practice with me later.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby smile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:44 pm

Personal reasons? lol Are you serious???

We're moderators and we do our job as professionally as we can. I know for a fact that no moderator on the team would be as immature as to delete someone elses PM, even if we had the power to do so. You're very wrong there I'm afraid.

Yeah basicly if you send a PM and hit send or submit and then decide that you don't want person to recieve the PM anymore you can go into your outbox and delete it. Once you've done this the other person won't recieve it.

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby silver tree » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:47 pm

Our job is to moderate the forums Captain Flynn, as private messages are just that, private, even if we had that power they would be of no interest to us whatsoever as they are not on display in the forums!

The forums are enough work, let alone PMs too!
silver tree
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:48 pm

I was only asking.

Well then, that could be what happened with arwen?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby arwen » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:53 pm

I guess they could have deleted from their outbox, as I would still have got the e-mail... that would make sense. I didn't know that worked.

Wonder what they were... :-k
arwen
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby studentpilotjoe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:57 pm

I would ask a question - but i won't. :roll:
studentpilotjoe
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby smile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:00 pm

Go for it, that's what we're here for. However if it's got nothing to do with the topic you're posting in then you can start up a new topic.

Arwen, CF could be right, maybe someone (or six people) decided to confuse you kept sending and deleting their PMs to you so that you would make a post in forum support... :)

smile
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby studentpilotjoe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:01 pm

No thanks 8) I value my head as it is :P
studentpilotjoe
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby peecee » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:06 pm

Weird - I've been getting new pms, but no notification!! :o :o

Captain_flynn, to reinforce the message - we have no interest in anyone's pms but our own.

Studentpilotjoe - don't worry about your head, we only put bruises where people won't see them... :wink:

xxxxxxxx
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Forum Support