Friend with depression

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Friend with depression

Postby slayer111 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:07 pm

The details here aren't terribly important; what it boils down to is that a close frien of mine that I work with went home after half a day last Monday, and didn't come back in until yesterday, and something was obviously wrong... While talking, he said in passing that he had see a Dr and he was depressed... He obviously wanted me to know, but didn't want to make it into a big thing. But he's not happy being back at work, he even tried to call his Doctor, but he didn't seem to get through.

I don't know what has caused this, and I don't know how to help. And I don't know enough about depression to know how best to help; do I try to cheer him up, or should I act as normal to avoid pressuring him?

Basically, I'm asking if anyone here knows what to do for a friend with genuine depression.
slayer111
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby X_Smiler_X » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:17 pm

This is a tough one, Is it definately his job thats getting him down? It could be a number of things - Jobs are alot to do with depression, I know from experience!
Maybe offer him out for a drink, or something to take his mind off of whatever is bothering him. Reassure him about whatever it is.
Good luck xx
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby slayer111 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:47 pm

I have no idea what the problem is about. I had a talk with him earlier, and he said there were lots of little things all getting on top of him.

There are a few things which I know about which are going on, which he was coping with before, but I think something maybe put him over the dge :(
slayer111
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Depression is Complicated

Postby Cat Queen » Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:02 pm

Hi Slayer111. I actually have depression, It was caused by getting jumped after school by 3 girls who were ment to be my friends. I was shocked, and my trust for other females has went downhill since, that was 7 years ago. I still have it, but im being treated by Anti D`s and seeing a (Shrink). I feel alot better,BUT as my lad can tell you, my mood is very changeable! I sometimes refuse to do things for NO simple reason, I sometimes don`t understand myself. I push others away when there trying to help,which I know is wrong! :roll: People with depression need support, Don`t give up. We often LOOK for something to be in a bad mood about, and we`re parinoid! :wink: Im hoping to get better and off these damn pills soon. I feel like an addict or im crazy! :lol: the 1st im DEFINATELY not!!! :P tell us how you cope, all the best :wink:
"Life is like a box of chocolates",
can never get enough and get fat on them!!!
Love Lou XXXX
Cat Queen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

whats the differance

Postby lovefool » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:52 pm

what u said kind of makes sense i push ppl away wen im depressed and im very paranoid but im not on pills for it or anythin. how can u tall between real depression and just generally being depressed?
lovefool
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Difficult

Postby Cat Queen » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:45 pm

Hmm, good question! :-? The only way I knew was when I visited a doctor, He said I had Moderate depression. I decided to go to my doctor cause I was feeling teary all the time, wanted to stay in and sleep. :cry:
Love Lou XXXX
Cat Queen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby misatok11 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:49 pm

All i can say is be there when they need you. They might push you away or talk to you. Just be there. When they get through it they will look back and thank you. :D
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Nice advice

Postby Cat Queen » Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:37 pm

True :D I wonder how my lad and my family can put up with me sometimes! But I`m really grateful. I`m starting to pull through because of there support and love.... :)
Love Lou XXXX
Cat Queen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby slayer111 » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:58 am

Thanks for all the advice guys!

He's cheered up a lot this week... But I don't think it's actually sorted, I think it's more likely he has manic depression of some kind. :( Ahh well, I'll do my best! I've told him if he ever needs to get away from things that he can stay at mine for a while, and he's said he might take me up on that.
slayer111
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby jasperlens » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:57 pm

HI,
Appartenly, we all suffer from depression at some point in our life and any doctor will tell you it is nothing to be ashamed of. The best thing you can do is show him you care by being your usual self. Let him know you can talk if he wants to.But most of all, let him know he`s still your friend no matter what.
take care
jasperlens
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Friends