Intensive Farming: Cruel or Profitable?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Intensive Farming: Cruel or Profitable?

Postby KoRn_Freak » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:06 pm

INTENSIVE FARMING

Do you think that this method of farming is cruel or profitable?

I personally think that intensive farming is completely inhumane, immoral and goes against animal rights. I think it's totally cruel to deny an animal any space to move, keeping it away from sunlight and the outdoor world and being left to simply fatten up amidst hundreds of thousands of other animals. If one gets infected, the majority gets infected. The sick and injured are not cared for by humans, they are simply left to die amidst the others, and the dead get trampled on.
The means of slaughter are awful and hideous as well. Chickens are hugn by their legs and are submerged in boiling water which has an electric current passed through it. This kills them, fairly quickly but some may die a little slower, and the hot water loosens the feathers from the skin. Chickens only live for a number of months, about 5 or 6 before they go to the slaughter, but the number of months is a bit lower for ducks. Turkeys forgo a similar lifespan and the exact same conditions. Pigs however suffer (what I see in my opinion) far worse than I could ever imagine. The pregnant pigs are chained and confined in the tighetest areas I have ever seen: they cannot move around to exercise, they can't even turn around. Once the piglets are born, they feed off their mothers, however, the weakest ones are left to die and just like the chickens, ducks, turkeys etc, the dead get trampled all over and left to rot. The other piglets are taken away from their mothers at a very young age, and the mothers are taken to the slaughter. They're stunned by electricity, and this puts them in shock. They suffer from muscle spasms and one foot is hung so they dangle in air. They are moved along and their throats are cut up to their chins, and litres of blood pours out. This is not a humane and painless way to slaughter ANY animal as it suffocates them and bleeds them to death, rather than cut deep into a main artery at the side of the throat which kills them before they even feel it, due to the high pressure.
The point is if the goverment thinks this acceptable, then intensive farming is just another way to turn agriculture into animal cruelty.
KoRn_Freak
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Aldo » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:38 pm

not sure on what is real or not, but is intesive farming not just down to the judgement of farmers wanting more profit? rather than the government believeing thats the way to go? Is it not more the case some farmers are just greedy and want to make the most of things and hide the fact they are operating this system?
If you dont ask you will never know
Aldo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby KoRn_Freak » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:28 am

When you actually see for real the conditions that those animals have to live within, it puts a whole different view on our nation's agriculture. Because I'm very much against any form of animal cruelty, seeing the conditions of intensive farming broke my heart. I'm all for the RSPCA, WWF etc, and I really think that they should take a stand to seriously tighten the system if intensive farming is the chosen method of breeding for farmers, improving the disgusting conditions and actually looking after individual animals which have fallen sick, as it can jepordise a massive majority.
KoRn_Freak
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Aldo » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:52 pm

i agree. But again, these intensive farmings are probably taken on by greedy farmers and 99.999% of the farmings are done in the proper way. Its a matter of catching these intensive farming farmers.
If you dont ask you will never know
Aldo
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby sovs » Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:42 pm

I dont know why you are for the RSPCA, my friend works for cats protection and all the RSPCA do if they have animals to long and there getting on is put them to sleep. There a disgrace.
And instead of looking after them (ones they put down), they spend the money we give on advertising.
They make me sick.

By the way im not happy about intensive farming either it all makes me so cross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby MelodyLinn » Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:58 pm

I TOTALLY agree with the koRn_freak's first entry! + I'm a vegetarian :wink:

Love, MelodyLinn :D

Animals are almost human, they just can't talk
MelodyLinn
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Beckyt » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:17 pm

Intensive farming is cruel and barbaric. I have been a veggie for nearly 13 years and I have took part in many campaigns against animal abuse and this is just one of them that I'm 100% against
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby MelodyLinn » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:56 pm

Wow Beckyt. I admire you. =D> I'm gonna start campaigning aswell, it's just time...

Love, MelodyLinn :roll:
MelodyLinn
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Chit Chat